Sunday, February 1, 2015

Lavender Ranger's Editorial: Ranger Actors with unpopular choices, rumored behavior, crimes and fan-division

 UPDATED 2.6.15 8PM EST
I didn't want to cover this topic for a while but certain events has 'broke the camel's back' a bit. I just want to say that I am not comparing one actor's alleged criminal behavior to any other actor's non-criminal behavior. For example, I am not comparing Rick Medina's recent alleged murder with the non-criminal behavior of let's say Jason David Frank or Steve Cardenas. I don't mean to clump them all together but I am doing so to display the spectrum of behavior, mild to the worst imaginable. Neither I am judging none of the people I display on this post. Some (Jason, Najee and Hector) for example is just heresay. Also these are in not any particular order. The following is highly controversial.
 
 Jason David Frank
The number one divider towards fans. There are people who love JDF (Tommy Oliver/Green Mighty Morphin, White Mighty Morphin, Zeo Ranger V Red, Red Turbo Ranger and Black Dino Thunder Ranger) and others who loathe him. Those who loathe him claim he is pompous and selfish. Even though there hasn't been a lot of complaints or evidence of him actually being rude to fans, many haters generally dislike the over-abundance of Tommy love such as a lot of Green Ranger or Tommy merchandise from Tommy and Bandai America while other past Rangers have been ignored. JDF has been blamed for unfair hacking into Morphin Madness website last March in favor of Tommy. But the majority of this has just been heresay and rumors, not actual evidence.
 
Rick Medina Jr.
January 31, 2015 Rick Medina Jr. (Cole/Red in Wild Force and Deker in Samurai/Super Samurai) has been arrested for allegedly murdering his roommate with a sword. Some fans are already claiming self defense, but like I said, I'm not judging, we don't all know. After Wild Force, he was in a reality show about a cougar and he was a deplorable character. Rumors from fans were that he didn't appericiate the show. He was also in a Chippendales-like show. He later join PR again on Samurai was redeemed in Fans' eyes until this.
 
 Steve Cardenas
He (Rocky/Red Ranger in Mighty Morphin and Zeo Ranger III Blue in Zeo) was generally liked until a recent situation in which he got a flame war of sorts with a fan who makes props. There was a lot of he said-he said going on. I won't go into specific details but basically Cardenas claimed the helmet maker broke a helmet he was supposed to fix and there was a dispute over payment. Some fans are in his favor and others not. Like I said I am not judging and I am not on either side. Basically there was evidence of their conversations on Instagram and it doesn't look in favor of Cardenas.
 
 
 Walter E. Jones
A few years ago Walter E. Jones (Zack/Black Ranger in Mighty Morphin) has a D.U.I., but fans haven't really cared much and his standing towards fans hasn't really been polarized.
 
 Hector David Jr.
He played Mike/Green Ranger on Power Rangers Samurai. He has been a bit of a wild card. According to Alex Heartman, Najee De Tiege and Steven Skyler at various conventions, he took actress Rugen Du Bray on a motorcycle ride, they go in an accident and she ended up injured at the hospital (hence why human Dayu is sitting down in her last scenes next to Deker). Rumors are that recently at Power Morphicon 2014 he was banned for some unruly behavior (this is hearsay of course). This could be untrue. I have been trying to keep this secret but I personally witnessed him shouting at a valet over something. Actually I went up to him at the hotel and he acted coldly towards me, not speaking. He was clearly angry. Like I said I am not judging, actors are human, they are regular people. Humans make mistakes. We all have bad days.
 
Najee De Tiege
Some fans have disliked him because of his Twitter comments. He has used bad grammar. One fan has posted up all the tweets he made and read them out loud. Some fans have not liked his acting. I think that's not fair to judge a person on just those factors, he hasn't done anything to harm anyone. At the convention Rangerstop in 2013, he personally helped me out and bought merchandise from my vendor table. He was really nice to me. I am just giving him the benefit of the doubt.
 
Samuell Benta
I totally forgot about this guy! He was Will/Operation Overdrive Black Ranger, he attended at Power Morphicon 2007 with the other castmembers. There were four official banners that all the guests signed and were going to be auctioned off on eBay with the earnings donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He took one. When he was rumored to might be in a Super Megaforce episode, fans were furious as the majority of fans now see him as a thief.
 
Does this effect your view on these actors or their characters? I say they are just people, let them live their lives.


2 comments:

Emiliano Vitulich said...

I thought Samuell Benta was going to appear in this article because of the incident in the first Power Morphicon...

Lavender Ranger said...

omg! I totally forgot! I'll add later