Friday, August 21, 2026

Thoughts on the future of Power Rangers




Hi! It has been a long time since I last wrote a blog post. These days, I mostly create videos on TikTok. I originally focused almost exclusively on Power Rangers and Super Sentai, but recently I have pivoted into other topics because there simply has not been much Power Rangers news to discuss.

From around 2020 to 2024, Jonathan Entwistle was reportedly working on a Power Rangers project for Netflix. The project went through several different ideas, including a possible reboot movie before eventually being developed as a television series. More recently, in 2025 and 2026, Jonathan E. Steinberg and Dan Shotz were reportedly attached to a new Power Rangers series for Disney+. However, because Hasbro owns Power Rangers and not Disney, there were questions about how much money Disney would be willing to invest in the project. Rumors suggested that disagreements over the budget may have ultimately led to the project's cancellation.

So, where does that leave the fans? While there may not be an active Power Rangers project happening right now, that does not necessarily mean another one will never be developed. Power Rangers is not the kind of franchise that tends to remain dormant forever.

In 2009, Power Rangers RPM became the final new Power Rangers series produced during Disney's ownership of the franchise. Disney then primarily relied on reruns and repackaged versions of older episodes, including Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Re-Versioned. Eventually, Saban Brands reacquired Power Rangers and moved the franchise to Nickelodeon, where it remained for nearly a decade. The most recent series, Power Rangers Cosmic Fury, aired in 2023.

Yes, there has been no new Power Rangers series for three years, but I personally believe this is not the end of Power Rangers. Another company could potentially purchase the franchise from Hasbro in the future. After all, ownership and creative control have changed hands several times throughout the franchise's history, often after roughly a decade. And on August 23, 2026, Power Rangers will celebrate its 33rd anniversary.

1993-2002 Saban, 10 years 
2002-2010 Disney, 8 years
2010-2018 Saban, 8 years 
2018 - Present Hasbro, so far 7 years

Anyway, I have not lost hope. Fans have jokingly (or seriously) referred to the strange behind-the-scenes events involving former Power Rangers actors as the “Power Rangers Curse,” and sometimes it feels like the franchise's recent production cancellations could be added to that long list of unfortunate events. But, realistically, many major franchises go through development hell.

Development hell—also called development purgatory or development limbo—is an industry term for a project that remains stuck in development for an extended period because of legal, technical, financial, or creative problems. This happens in movies, television, video games, and even software development.

And no, I am not trying to spam anyone or use the so-called “Power Rangers Curse” as clickbait. I am simply sharing my thoughts as a longtime fan who still believes that Power Rangers will eventually return in some form. I have not lost hope.

Personally, I think the franchise could benefit from being aimed more toward young adults and longtime adult fans rather than exclusively at younger children. Power Rangers has always featured action, martial arts, monsters, and violence, so a slightly more mature approach could allow the franchise to explore those elements in a different way without necessarily becoming overly graphic.

I also think the toy market has changed significantly since the 1990s. Toy sales are not what they used to be during the height of the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers era. Many children today spend more of their entertainment time playing video games or using social media and other apps on mobile devices. Because of that, I do not think a modern Power Rangers revival should depend entirely on traditional toy sales. The franchise may need to find new ways to appeal to audiences while also recognizing the adult fans who have supported it for decades.


No comments: